Friday, March 30, 2012

Would you like some lime with that milk?

This article was very, lets just say gagging to me! I found this in the YAHOO! news. In Philadelphia they had a truck that was holding more than 3,000 gallons of milk and was over turned. The people of  PA was very concerned about the milk getting into the creek and then seeping into the soil. Scientist had made them aware that sprinkling lime onto the soil where the milk had spilled would chew up the milks fat lipids and neutralize the odor.

My  first reaction when I seen the topic was "Oh, how disgusting!", but as I kept reading I found it very interesting that they could use lime to neutralize the odor.

Why I reacted this way? Well first of all, If you don't know me, well lets just say I am not a big fan of milk, but adding lime to it made it sound even more disgusting. And then as I kept reading, find out that their was infact no drinking to this I was relieved and fascinated at how they could prevent the odor and spoiling into the water and soil.

My conclusion is to this is, just because the topic sounds horrific, and does not sound appealing, do not assume its bad! Just like the old saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover".  As well to my ending, I am wondering where they are gonna find that much lime peelings? Hmm...???

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting. I wonder if you could use lime on spills around the house... I have a 2 yr old who spills on a regular basis. Hmmm... Thoughts to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please don't use lime (fruit) on your spills or stains until you research it. I don't beleive they used lime fruit on the milk spill. They more than likely used the chemical lime which is in the acid family and can be dangerous. We use it in our yards in the country to kill ticks. It's also used on ball fields to assist in drying faster when it rains. That's why our ball field cuts burn. Lime is usually in a powder form, like the powder in concrete mix. It's dangerous here because it will cause serious burns if a person is not properly clothed while mixing or working with concrete. I had a client who had used cheap rubber boots while pouring a back patio and it ate through his boots and caused 3rd degree burns on his feet and legs.

    ReplyDelete